connect student dreams with real experience
Breakthrough students dream of being doctors, scientists, game designers, engineers, and much more. By seeing what it’s like to work in Silicon Valley, they take the first step in creating a vision for their success. While their dreams may change, it is important for each student to meet people who are successful in their chosen profession.
What does Hosting a Career Day Entail?
Minimum Effort for Maximum Impact!
- Breakthrough staff will help you plan a great day in advance
- Host a small group of 8 to 10 middle school students (ages 11-13) from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Show the students your office, introduce them to colleagues, engage them in a work-related activity, answer questions about your company, your job, and your educational experience
- Students will be accompanied at all times by a Breakthrough chaperone (most often a summer Teaching Fellow)
- Take them to a “business lunch”, either at your company cafeteria or at a local (walking distance) restaurant
What will students do to prepare?
- Research your company
- Brainstorm questions to ask you and other employees
What are Typical Activities and How Do I Plan Them?
Breakthrough’s staff will work with you in advance to help you design a successful day; some ideas and examples of what others have done are below. We want our students to meet people doing different jobs, if possible – an engineer, a marketing guru, a CFO, a lawyer, interns; some high-achieving company hosts have even introduced kids to their CEO!
10:00 a.m. Students and Breakthrough staff member arrive; introductions or an ice breaker, etc.
10:30 a.m. Meet with Employee A; learn about their job and their experience
10:45 a.m. Meet with Employee B; learn about their job and their experience
11:00 a.m. Participate in a group activity or continue meeting employees. Here are the types of group activities past companies have done:
- Campus tour
- Try out a company product and give you feedback
- Sit in on a real business meeting
Please don’t hesitate to be creative! We would be happy to support you in creating a unique schedule of activities.
12:00 p.m. “Business Lunch” in company cafeteria or conference room
1:00 p.m. Students depart and return to Breakthrough Silicon Valley
After the day
Students will share their experience with their classmates, learn how to write formal business letters, and go home with homework related to their day.
They will have learned about new careers and the world of work at your company. They will have strengthened their desire to go to a great high school and attend a strong university. They will always remember the day, and they will always remember you!
See our events page for Dates and details about upcoming career exploration days.
If you have questions or would like to learn more about hosting a Career Exploration Day visit, please contact Lina Raffaelli, Community Engagement Coordinator, at email@example.com or 408-287-6357.