Is Breakthrough right for you?
- Do you have hopes and dreams to achieve great things in your life?
- Do you love to learn, and have fun in the process?
- Are you a 6th grade student attending a public school within the San Jose Unified or Franklin-McKinley school districts?
- Are you doing well in school and is going to college important to you?
If you answered "yes" to all of these questions, Breakthrough Silicon Valley may be the right program for you.
How to Apply
Applying to Breakthrough Silicon Valley involves a selection process. We seek motivated students who are ready to work hard to achieve their dreams. There are no tuition fees for our program. Your commitment is your only payment.
To be eligible, a student must:
- Be a current 6th grader
- Perform at grade level or higher in core academic subjects (some students nearing grade level may be considered)
- Identify as a first-generation college student
- Attend one of the district schools within Franklin McKinley or San Jose Unified School Districts
- Demonstrate a compelling economic need for a tuition-free program
- Show motivation for learning
Information Session Dates
Join us for an information session to learn more about the application process. Pick up an application at an information session or download one below.
- January 17, 2018 - Franklin-McKinley School District Office Portable 1, 645 Wool Creek Drive, San Jose 95112
- January 18, 2018 - John Muir Middle School, 1260 Branham Lane, San Jose 95118
- January 23, 2018 - Hoover Middle School, 1635 Park Ave, San Jose 95126
- January 25, 2018 - Burnett Academy Middle School, 850 N. 2nd Street, San Jose 95112
- Check back for more dates to be scheduled soon.
Spanish-language sessions: 5:30 - 6:15 pm at all locations
English-language sessions: 6:30 - 7:15 pm at all locations
Download an Application
After the application deadline, a group of students will be invited to participate, with their parents, in a family interview during the second round of the application process. Not all students will be invited to interview. Interviews are scheduled in March and April.
Our new class of students is selected based on the student and parent applications, recommendations, and interview. Decision letters are mailed in late April.
- Early Deadline: January 30, 2018
- Regular Deadline: March 6, 2018
Breakthrough siblings and students with strong interest, who are certain they want to become part of Breakthrough Silicon Valley are encouraged to apply by the early deadline.
Want to know more?
Read these frequently asked questions and answers.